Match chat ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Match chat ...

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm

That is one of the great things about match angling, no matter how much experience we have, we still don’t know what will happen on the day or night of the comp. Obliviously the clever angler will adapt and improvise at the time when he realises that things are not working out to the individuals’ game plan. However, that sometimes goes against the grain.

One of my hobbies in the past was scuba diving. In that sport we were taught ‘Plan the dive, dive the plan’. Although this is a sensible and safe advise with diving, it is something that has given me tunnel vision with matches. I am reluctant to change my game plan, which is a fault.

I do not own a mobile phone anymore, but those that do are constantly on it getting updates on what/who are catching in a match. This info is being used and can change the final results. I have no qualms with this, although it can be psychologically destroying your confidence. Again it is up to the individual.

Whilst I’m having a ramble, I still wonder why fellow match anglers do not use this site more. When we have a comp there are normally ten to twenty anglers who fish. When other websites hold a meet they do not get this amount of people turn up. We all have our ‘secrets’ yet at matches there is plenty of banter and chat. The Sussex match anglers seem to be able to communicate on other websites … so why not here. Surely us Kent match anglers are not that much computer illiterate that we cannot do the same?

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

Re: Match chat ...

Post  Dave A on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:50 am

When there used to be lots of team comps i think the phones were a help with information being passed between team mates which undoubtedly helped to score team points. These days i am not sure they are that helpful, there is a fair be of misinformation and the standard of angler is so high if do you change tactics to copy someone as a result of a phone call you are unlikely to be able to catch them up. I think there is a good case to turn the phone off and do you own thing without being put under pressure by knowledge of what others are catching.

The lack of Kent match anglers online is a mystery I can’t explain either. There seems to a mistrust of forums and it seems to me there are a lot less fishing reports posted now than when forums first started.

Dave A

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hedges on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 am

Typical example, is Greg D, a top angler, match and pleasure and a top bloke.
But got slaughtered for being to informative ? ? and at times taken way to far.

But why the man was willing to help all anglers, with local info that helped so many improve.

GREED is the only answer i can come up with, far to many anglers think "why should i help others" i had to learn it all

Dartford & District Angling Preservation Society

Nick Hedges

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Not sure if the word greed is the best one … possibly jealousy would be a better way to describe some peoples failings. Unless you are a freshwater match angler I doubt if there is anybody in this country has made a continuous profit out sea angling matches. If you are lucky enough to win a big one now and again it might put you ahead financially over costs, but I doubt it.

Writing anything about angling is putting your head above the parapet. It is something that I have put off for many years. I am still learning and still want to. As I stated in the beginning of this post we all have our ‘secrets’ or we think we do. Be it bait, tackle or tactics it is the thing that gives us confidence … and without confidence it is hardly worth fishing a match – or come to that, fishing at all.

Obviously these ‘secrets’ are not infallible or it would make a mockery of my first paragraph by saying nobody makes any big money/profit out of sea matches. However, it is a bit of mental psyche that all anglers have when they enter a comp. To enter with the thought I’m wasting my time is not only masochistic but a squander of money. Therefore all anglers have that ‘secret’ even if it is only ‘I feel lucky’.

So far, all of my associate match men have been jolly fine fellows. Always ready to have a laugh and joke and answer my questions … possibly not necessary with a truthfully reply, but Hey Ho none have told me to mind my business … yet. And none of us know enough to be that cocky.

As for posting catch reports … Well, to some it can come across as being unintentialy boastful, and a crass remark is normally made because of jealousy. This will put the poster off for life – unless he has skin as thick as a rhino. Think how much stick some of the sea angling magazine writers get from people they have never met. Unless you want to keep it a secret for whatever reasons, we all like to see and know what’s coming out and lets face it you can’t catch them twice.

Although I have made a living out of the angling industry all of my life I will never learn enough to be an expert. In fact, nature will never allow me or anybody else to know it all. So what’s the harm in sticking your head above the parapet now and again and have a chat on here, after all we are still anglers.

Sorry it’s gone for so long, but it’s raining and I cannot go for my daily constitutional.

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hedges on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I can not believe no body else has anything to say on the subject, strange that.

It dont help the fact there is a viscous little man who thinks hes an expert steering people away from the site, but the site will go on none the less.

Eventually we will succeed

Dartford & District Angling Preservation Society

Nick Hedges

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt S on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Forums do seem to cause more arguements than before. Maybe this puts alot off posting reports or offering advise. Sometimes its just a case of anglers who wish to fish in peace and quiet on their favorite venue.
No matter what you do there will always be those who agree or disagree and unfortunatly those with a bad attitude spoil it.
All you can do is ignore them.
I'd post more if i could!
As for mobile phones, they do my head in. Only take mine incase of emergencys, the mrs insists. No doubt they're usefull in finding out whats being caught. But shouldn't we be figureing that out for ourselves? Part of the skill of fishing...

Matt S

Back to top Go down

you have a long way to go david to be a top match man like me ha ha

Post  pleasureangling@googlemai on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:13 am

Twisted Evil Razz
Dave Chamberlain wrote:That is one of the great things about match angling, no matter how much experience we have, we still don’t know what will happen on the day or night of the comp. Obliviously the clever angler will adapt and improvise at the time when he realises that things are not working out to the individuals’ game plan. However, that sometimes goes against the grain.

One of my hobbies in the past was scuba diving. In that sport we were taught ‘Plan the dive, dive the plan’. Although this is a sensible and safe advise with diving, it is something that has given me tunnel vision with matches. I am reluctant to change my game plan, which is a fault.

I do not own a mobile phone anymore, but those that do are constantly on it getting updates on what/who are catching in a match. This info is being used and can change the final results. I have no qualms with this, although it can be psychologically destroying your confidence. Again it is up to the individual.

Whilst I’m having a ramble, I still wonder why fellow match anglers do not use this site more. When we have a comp there are normally ten to twenty anglers who fish. When other websites hold a meet they do not get this amount of people turn up. We all have our ‘secrets’ yet at matches there is plenty of banter and chat. The Sussex match anglers seem to be able to communicate on other websites … so why not here. Surely us Kent match anglers are not that much computer illiterate that we cannot do the same?

pleasureangling@googlemai

http://www.dealpier.com 0r www.pleasureangling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

Dean, I will never be able to match you’re angling abilities. I take it that it a slow day in the shop?

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

what time u up for bait dave might go home to do some decorating

Post  pleasureangling@googlemai on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:09 am

Dave Chamberlain wrote:Dean, I will never be able to match you’re angling abilities. I take it that it a slow day in the shop?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

I’ll pick it up on Wednesday afternoon.

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

thats fine david i thought it was the 18th today l have lost a day some where thought it was wednesday today

Post  pleasureangling@googlemai on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am

Dave Chamberlain wrote:I’ll pick it up on Wednesday afternoon.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top