Marines charity match 24.6.12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marines charity match 24.6.12

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Twenty-five anglers fished in the Marines Angling Club charity match on Sunday. The weather was difficult at times with heavy showers and a fresh south-west wind. Unfortunately the fish were not as prolific as they should have been, however, Deal angler Andy Manning managed to catch two smooth hounds and four dogfish for a winning weight of 5.586 kg. Second was Mark Jarrett with eight dogfish for 4.350kg, beating Luke Hutton’s 3.970kg of dogs, which included a smooth hound of 1.900kg. Heaviest fish was a smooth hound of 2.250kg caught by Andy Manning. The total amount of money raised for ‘Help for Heroes’ charity was £298-73p. The Marines Angling Club would like to thank all those who donated prizes and took part in the competition for the worthy cause.

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

Re: Marines charity match 24.6.12

Post  Dave A on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Thats an impressive amount raised for a really good cause.

I did drive past the groynes and saw it was pegged virtually down to the royal, I hate that end seems to fish poorly most of the time. Did the winners come from the north end, did you get a decent draw Dave?. How was your luck in the raffle.

Dave A

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Chamberlain on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Funny that you should mention the raffle, I managed three prizes … and without a guilty conscience as well.

The water colour had changed over night, from mud to dirty grey. I fished opposite the club and when JG had a dog (next peg) on his first cast and then another on his third, I still felt confident. However, it did not fish. My first fish was a big pout, over 30cm, but as thin as a rake and scabby. This was well past the middle of the comp. Just as it started tipping it down I had the first bite of the day and dog. While unhooking it I had another bite, but left it to get the dog signed in. That produced a whiting of 28cm. In the last hour JG managed to get his third dog and shortly after, me as well. JG did me on weight and won the zone money. Andy fished Godwin Road and had two hounds before the high tide. Luke who was next peg south of JG was a late starter but managed a hound with his dogs. The guy who came second was towards Sandown and I heard he had eight casts and eight dogs. Crab was the winning bait although I think whites would have made a difference … I had neither. Nice day apart from the rain, although I thought it was going to be worse weather wise. Needed the six hours to make some sort of impression - as it was hard going.

Dave Chamberlain

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave A on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:00 am

thanks for the extra info Dave -unlucky on the near miss - as you say the crab is needed for the hounds .
I fished with crab on one hook virtually all day at walmer of the first 5 dogs none were on crab - then after high water they seem to want it and had 4 on the crab.

Dave A

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top